Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life as a UB Student

Dumelang,

As some of you may know, this was our first week of classes.  The funny thing is I have only had one class thus far.  While I understand that the first week is syllabus week, it still strikes me as odd that neither students or professors show up to class.  My first class on the first day, I arrived to a gated classroom (obviously no attempts whatsoever to have class).  The second class the professor did not show up and the third I had to miss for a meeting.  Tuesday, I went to my only class of the day which consisted of 6 people, 4 of which are international.  We ended up going to the prof's office and ASKING him to come speak with us (he was sorting papers).  When he did come we got a piece of paper and he said he'd explain more Thursday.  This is craziness.  I have already dropped two courses so I am now taking Politics of Poverty in Southern Africa, Demographic Aspects of the HIV/AIDS Epidemic, and Traditional and Alternative Medical Systems.  Don't worry though!  My semester won't be that easy.  I have three other CIEE specific courses and two of which I am the ONLY student.  The public health track is going to be a bit intimidating since I will be doing all work alone but I am excited to start going into clinics. 

As for the social life which I have experienced thus far, its a whole lot of hanging out.  Every single night the student bar has been absolutely packed.  Last night we stood for almost an hour talking to two random people we met.  The students are constantly wanting to talk to us and find out where we are from, what we expected to see in Africa and how we are liking it.  Yet again, the people prove to be extremely friendly but MAN...they LOOOVE to talk.  They all assume we Americans land in Africa and expect to see people riding elephants and everything.  I try my best to tell them that not everyone thinks that but it is definitely the way Africa is portrayed. 

I have also gone to the shopping areas several times in the past day.  It's strange how much their merchandise is like the US.  Honestly, sometimes I feel like I am at home.  There are still the crazy girls who were 4 inch heels to walk around the city and the guys who think they are thugs.  I also met a Fulbright Scholar who has been here several months so he was explaining to me the different quirks about Gabs. 

I guess the last thing to mention about life as a UB student is soccer.  Every night, soccer is played int he tennis courts.  Its nice because there is always something to do.  I played the other night (not well...I'm used to playing 5 year olds at camp and being awesome).  It was definitely made real that we were playing street soccer when a guy most likely broke his nose but waited just long enough for it to stop bleeding so he could come back and play.  Again...craziness. 

Well, I guess I should be going since I have to watch my clothes on the drying line.  Yes, I hand washed my clothing.  I'm still thinking of home every day and trying not to get homesick but Facebook is not helping.  Anyway, go siame (goodbye)!

Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment