Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Finally the big 2-1...

This week has by far been the best week I have spent here.  Last time I posted, I don't believe I had done much beyond sit in classes with no professors and be bored in my room.  Last Friday, the 14th, I had a fairly large adventure that was traveling in a combi myself.  One of my friends, Gerrica, lives on the other side of Gaborone, near a mall called Game City.  In order to get there, I must take a combi to Station which is just a massive bus station in the middle of the city and then catch a different combi to Game City.  The first ride went well and I found a girl who was extremely nice and walked my all the way to my next combi so I didn't get lost.  Once I got onto that combi, however, all hell broke loose!  I was all the way in the back against the window so there was no way I was getting out.  That was fine at first except for when a man opened the door of the combi and began yelling in Setswana.  Now, I believe I am doing a fairly good job at learning Setswana but when an entire van full of people screaming Setswana presents itself, I have no idea what's being said.  Typically it doesn't bother me when I can't understand conversations but that was a different story.  So anyway, we eventually got going after about 20 minutes of sheer chaos.  Eventually I reached my stop and made it to Game City alive but it was definitely an adventure.

The big day however, was SATURDAY!!! I was extremely hesitant to spend my 21st birthday in Africa because it didn't really seem like it would mean much let alone not being with my friends and family from home was going to be hard.  Luckily I have an amazing group of people with me here in Gaborone.  It was also a good time because my friend Grady was turning 21 the same night.  We started the day with going to the main mall and I bought a wooden hippo which I am super pumped about.  He will be my new study buddy. :-)  I am going to post a few pictures later of the crafts in the mall.  The night then was spent have a few drinks at dinner with about 14 people.  We went from there to a club called fashion lounge and danced the night away.  It was not what I would have expected but was certainly a wonderful way to spend my birthday.  Sunday was also pretty fun because I went on my first game drive.  I went with the family which is semi-hosting me here.  Their names are David and Charity Motsetse.  They are extremely welcoming and helpful.  Anyway, David picked me up from campus and we drove with two of their children, one being 4 the other being 6 months and saw all kinds of animals.  Half of them I have never seen nor heard of before.  We did see a baby monkey and baby warthogs which were funny. It was crazy to think that this is where those animals actually belong.  The most disappointing thing to me was that when I saw a zebra in it's natural habitat, it didn't look normal.  I hate that I am so used to seeing them in zoos that they now look out of place in the real world.

                                                                   The birthday kids.

As as for the rest of the days after that, they were not too exciting but classes are finally going which is awesome.  I was getting sick of going to class and not learning anything.  Funny thing is that the professors are not what I thought they'd be.  My prof for Politics of Poverty is extremely biased against whites which makes class interesting.  I have never been in a class where I have not only been the minority but also the one who is portrayed as the wrong-doer.  It is very interesting to see how others think of Americans but at the same time it is frustrating because not everyone in the US are like that.  I want to sit everyone down and explain individually how the world is not as it seems on TV.  I'm hoping that I can change some people's opinions so that they do not generalize.  The most hope that I see for this country and improving its status as both a economic and political jewel for Africa as it is considered now is for the youth to take over.  The president of Botswana is imposing many constraints on the people in the hopes of sparking action in the people but I do not see it working.  The elderly continue to have unprotected sex with multiple partners and choose not to use the advancements which are available.  The younger generation here are much more responsive to the liberal ideas which I think are needed in order to make some needed change.  It's amazing to me that wives here are still expected to allow their husbands to sleep with other women as long as they come back to their own house at the end of the night.  No wonder why HIV/AIDS is so prevalent.  The girls my age seem to be defying that though so I am hoping that will make a difference.

Anyway, unfortunately, my big plans of going to the clinic this week were also a bust.  The rainy season has wrecked havoc across Gaborone while flooding roads and delaying traffic so my ride never got to campus.  I'm hoping that next week things will work out better.  The plan is to go on Tuesdays from 7:30am-12pm to the Broadhursrt 2 clinic.  I am hoping to catch a lot of good information but I was told that the focus of my observations this semester will be sanitation and hygiene.  Considering the fact that most bathrooms do not have toilet paper OR soap...I think there will be plenty of stuff to see.

A few fun facts that I am just remembering off the top of my head are that a kitten was born around our building this week so a baby black cat is running around (adorable) and I was asked by someone if I would like to trade shirts because he liked me Gatorade shirt (I said no).  Also, I taught my roommates what stir-fry is and have made several Motswana experience the joy that is chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles.  The final interesting thing which I believe might have been my worst decision since being in Gabs was trying a caterpillar.  They are called something different here but basically it is a cooked up caterpillar about 2 inches in length.  My roommate asked if I wanted to try one and not wanting to offend...I did.  I think I have brushed my teeth 4 times since this afternoon.  I am proud of myself for trying it but I am definitely not a fan although I know many people are including international students.    

Life here has gotten a lot more comfortable and I find it easier to get through the day without being homesick.  We have our first weekend of volunteering at an orphanage this weekend where we will be swimming with the kids.  Speaking of swimming, I went swimming today in an outdoor.  I went swimming in JANUARY in an outdoor pool.  Strange strange feeling.  Also, we are thinking of going to Victoria Falls next weekend which would be awesome so let's keep our fingers crossed.  Only issue is the money but HEY!! When's the next time I'll be in Africa?!?! (hopefully not too long.. ;-) )

                                                      Crafts at Main Mall...all hand made.


                                                             Gaborone Game Reserve
                                                                      One(ohney) and I

1 comment:

  1. Pumba!!! Loved reading your blog.The handcrafted items look beautiful. When I went to Europe for the summer of 1972, I was warned to bring toilet paper. My girlfriend and I had our backpacks stuffed with it. I thought it was unreal then that in countries like France,Spain and Italy there was either no toilet paper, or it was like hard paper towels or waxed paper. Some things never change@! Loving the pix. Happy Brithday!

    ReplyDelete